Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My Thoughts on Beauty


Last week, I was playing on the internet, a common occurrence if you must know, and I found this article.  The article is about Kristen Stewart, who up until yesterday I wasn't a big fan of. When asked why, I never really had an answer. I would say things like, "she's just so awkward," "was it really necessary for her to say those things about paparazzi?" But then I read the things that the lovely Kate Spencer had to say about her in that article, and I thought, wow, could I have been more of a jerk?

All of the things that I held against Kristen were things that I value in myself and in my friends. Individuality. Speaking your mind. And it got me thinking about beauty and how it has changed. 

I look at these models in magazines or online and I instantly find I'm comparing myself to them. It is an impossible task. I almost have to tell myself that they aren't real women. They are plucked and tweaked and pulled in so many directions that the person is hardly recognizable beneath. Just watch this Dove Real Beauty video.  

But you know what? It's hard. It's hard to tell myself that it's okay to have a pimple or to have gained that extra 4 pounds during Christmastime (I mean come on, who can resist all those cookies?). But I almost don't even care about that anymore, what I'm more worried about is my future children...or my friends children. How can I expect my daughter to believe me when I tell her she's beautiful when everything around her tells her she isn't? 

The only thing I can do is hope. But I think we're on the right track. Magazines have been coming out saying that they won't do excessive photoshopping, or that they won't use models who are too thin. It's a step in the right direction and I couldn't be more pleased. Then there are role models in Hollywood who are more real than starlets have been in the past. Not only Kristen Stewart, but people like Jennifer Lawrence (I think I've heard her talk about peeing in every interview she's had) or Emma Stone. 

I actually think Emma summed up what I hope everyone one day sees. She said, "But that you’ll continue to harness your own originality and what makes you unique 'cause I know that when you’re a teenager — sometimes when you’re an adult — what sets you apart can sometimes feel like a burden and it’s not. And a lot of the time, it’s what makes you great. "
Emma. You're awesome. 

And so are you guys. So make sure you embrace it. 


**All views and opinions are that of the author's**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!