Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sunscreen It Up

I know what you're thinking...I live in Texas, it's 105 degrees outside. I know I need to wear sunscreen.

Yes, but did you also know that 90% of visible aging is due to the effects from the sun? The sun is hot, really, really hot. In fact, the surface of the sun is around 9,941 degrees Fahrenheit. That kind of heat barreling down on you everyday without any protection is not good for your skin or hair.

I tell my mom this repeatedly when she goes out to the pool without putting on any sunscreen, but she just waves me off and says that she needs a little vitamin D. Okay Mom, you're right, you do need some vitamin D. But according to US News, 10 minutes in the sun during midday is enough to get 20 times the daily amount.

Which brings me back to sunscreen. We need it, and the best kind to get is a broad spectrum or multispectrum sunscreen, meaning it protects against UVA and UVB rays. I won't go into the science of it, okay maybe only a little...both UVA and UVB rays have shorter wavelengths than the visible light spectrum, so you can't see them, but they still penetrate the atmosphere. Meaning, they can cause serious skin damage.

Photo from The Skin Cancer Foundation


There are a ton of different sunscreens out there, so here are a few that I like.


Jane Iredale Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscree, SPF 30, $45.50
Why I like it: It comes in two different shades, it is a powder form, so hello, nothing to rub in, and it can also be applied anywhere on the body. 



Skin Ceuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense, SPF 50, $30.00
Why I like it: SPF 50. I always say, the more the merrier. It also serves as a great primer for your regular makeup. 

Don't forget to protect your hair from the sun! It can dramatically diminish the color and cause the hair strand itself it weaken and dry out. Try out Aveda's Sun Care products to help protect your hair. 

Did I miss your favorite sunscreen? Tell me what it is in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!